Now that you’re back on the right track, you’ve probably considered adding a social life back into your routine. The good news is that you can (and should) enjoy a sober living San Diego lifestyle to the fullest. Here are some tips to make the process a smooth one.
Preparation Is Key
Prepare yourself for questions that could tempt you to break your sobriety when you turn down alcohol or other activities. You certainly don’t owe anyone an explanation, but knowing what you will (or won’t) say ahead of time will reduce your stress.
H.A.L.T Before Sober Living In San Diego
It’s important to consider your emotional and physical state before starting sober living in San Diego. Are you:
- Hungry? Hunger can make anyone testy. Make sure you eat a good meal before leaving your house.
- Angry? If you’re dealing with a stressful situation, it’s best to talk it over with your counselor or a trusted friend. They can give you perspective and help you avoid the urge to resist self-medication while you’re out.
- Lonely? Call a friend. Write a letter. Have a quick chat with your sponsor. Knowing you’re not alone is helpful in avoiding temptation.
- Tired? Sleep deprivation can alter your decision-making skills. Take a quick nap before your event. You’ll be surprised how in control you’ll feel.
H.A.L.T. is a great tool to test your resilience level at any given time. Think of it as a temptation thermometer that can help you decide if you need to step back from a situation so you don’t test your sobriety.
Sober Living in San Diego? Redefine “Fun”
What you used to consider fun probably includes a lot of things that could jeopardize your sobriety. So what do you do? Find like-minded people to socialize with when you’re out. Maybe it’s friends who are also in recovery or people who truly understand and support your sobriety. You’ll find temptation much easier to handle when you’re surrounded by people who can hold you up during tough times.
Transitioning from recovery to the “real world” can be tough. There are more temptations, the round-the-clock support that you’re used to is likely missing and you may be unable to cope. If that sounds like what you’re going through, Soledad House is here to help.
We are a women’s only house for sober living in San Diego, dedicated to helping you during your transition. Our serene location on Mount Soledad is the perfect place to learn the skills you need to effectively manage your newly established sobriety.
Our women’s addiction treatment programs include:
- Outpatient Rehab Treatment
- Extended Care
- Sober Living Program
- 12-Step Meetings
- Aftercare Program
- Individual Therapy
- Family Therapy
- Group Therapy
- Relapse Prevention Education
- Exercise Therapy
Don’t let the fear of living again stop you from trying. We can give you the tools you need to succeed. Call us today at 866.314.3222 to discuss your options for sober living San Diego style!